Quick hitters on NYE
Boston Bruins Blogger •Bruins Feature Columnist • RSS
Here are some quick hitters from around the NHL here on New Year’s Eve…
- Not sure the Bruins should be all-in on Chris Kreider. It would just be another left-shot, natural left wing. The Bruins have tons of those already. It’s really a right-shot, natural right wing that this team needs. Now, there’s not a ton of options for that on this market, and I’m not sure Tyler Toffoli should truly be considered the top option for Boston. Seems like more of a longshot bet than many will admit.
- The Caps-Hurricanes are quickly turning into one of my favorite rivalries in the NHL. Just want to get ahead of this one before everybody starts saying it when they meet up in the playoffs yet again.
- Not all that hot of a take, I know, but that Caps team should be the favorite to win it all this year. They either beat you or just make your victories hurt. Just ask the Bruins’ Charlie McAvoy and Torey Krug, both of whom were put on the shelf on hits from Tom Wilson and TJ Oshie on Dec. 23.
- I’m actually excited for the Winter Classic. It’s actually the most excited I’ve been for an outdoor game since the game at Dodger Stadium. The lesson? Keep putting it in unusual cities.
- Would the Devils try to trade P.K. Subban this deadline? It seems super unlikely, but this hasn’t been a great fit, and it’s hard to imagine he’s in love with the situation. Then again, I’m not sure the Devils are in love with the situation -- Subban is due $9 million per year through 2022 -- or if the trade market would be all that into picking No. 76 up at that price tag.
- How long before the Sabres break Jack Eichel? I mean, it’s obvious that the weight of the franchise is on his shoulders, and he’s shown that he’s more than willing to carry it. And watching the home-and-home between the Sabres and Bruins this past weekend, it’s obvious that Eichel has that superstar quality that will leave Buffalo fans happy with what they have, but this team could be something special if No. 9 had some more help around him. Then again, we say this every year.
- I’m kinda worried about the Patriots. Titans are hot. Oops, wrong website.
- I’ll be absolutely shocked if the Wild make the playoffs. Not because I think they don’t deserve it or anything, but because of how straight-up terrible this team looked earlier this season. They were legitimately unwatchable. Instant pass.
- Not sure how Brad Marchand isn’t an NHL All Star. Yeah, every team needs a rep. Or, and follow me here, the game intended for the best players has the best players on it? This league is absurd.
- Gotta love Colin Campbell being more upset about John Tortorella blasting the replay review process than the problems the replay review process has created. Love to know his head is in the right place.